Saturday, August 6, 2011

Rory's Story Cubes - Roll Your Imagination

I got a fun gift in my stocking last Christmas.  Well, I thought it was fun but then again, I am a dorky writer.  The gift was, "Rory's Story Cubes" with the tag line of, "Let Your Imagination Roll Wild".  I was so excited, I wanted to use them RIGHT away, but my husband pushed me back into my chair and said, "Not now honey, no one else wants to play."

I poured over the short list of directions:
1) Roll cubes
2) Pick an image that will be your starting point
3) Begin with "Once upon a time..." make up a story that somehow links all 9 cubes.

You can also use a theme first (my summer vacation, worst trip ever) roll the dice and then make up your story.  You can play in a group, the possibilities are endless!

I like using them for my 15 minute-a-day writing prompt.  Roll 'em and write for 15 minutes, linking the 9 items together. 

The pictures are fairly generic.  As you can see - there are things like a bridge over water, a key, an apple, and I am not really sure what that is behind the little kid (bottom left).  You could the sleeping face as just that, asleep.  Or, it could be snoring or napping etc.  The apple could be fruit, or a poison apple, see what I mean.

Have you used these cubes?  Or do you have another writing prompt tool?  I would love to hear about it.

8 comments:

  1. What a cute idea, these sound like a fun way to get some inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sally,

    My name's Kate, and I'm an aspiring writer from Utah. I just discovered your blog and I absolutely love it! Those cubes are adorable, and such an awesome way to get your creative juices flowing.

    Anyway, just thought I'd say hi!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Kate! Glad you enjoyed my blog. I encourage you to get the cubes and have some fun with your writing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Sally! Can't seem to find an email for you on your site but I want to get that YA for Dummies book to you. Can you email your address to me? I'm at jeffdhirsch@gmail . Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Sally: I think your cubes are great. Once I recieved a gift, a Story Spinner made out of cardboard wheels, good for writing, drawing, acting, and telling. It's also good for inspiration. I dusted it off after reading your post.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Barbara, the Story Spinner sounds fun too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sally I have never seen these cubes before but they look like so much fun! If California was closer to Florida I 'd come and play with you haha. If I let you read the rest of "The wishing Star" it will cost ya..... you will have to give it a critique for me. LOL! Happy writing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks Cheryl -- visit my new blog: www.sallywrites.com. Love to critique.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comment. Comments are not shown until approved by the blog administrator.