Saturday, July 24, 2010

Bird by Bird Some Instructions on Writing and Life, by Anne Lamott


My cousin owns a used book store. One of her customers brought in a bagful of books which included the book Bird by Bird Some Instructions on Writing and Life by Anne Lamott. She gave me the book because she knew I was a writer and would enjoy reading it.

Well, I stuck the beautiful book on my shelf along with my other stack of books on how to become a better writer where it's remained for a few months. I took it out once and read the first few pages of the introduction,  I got distracted, put the book in my nightstand and forgot about it.

But, I kept getting called back to this book. I read an article in a magazine that had been written by Anne Lamott. I have her book I thought to myself, I should read itBird by Bird came up on a recommended list of books writers should read, again -I have her book, and I should read it.

I can't tell you how many times this happened before I actually opened my nightstand and found the book. A little voice kept encouraging me to read this book but I ignored it.  Finally, I started reading it. I read the introduction and then the first chapter, I didn't want to put it down. Anne Lamott is inside me head - she has me pegged!

Last week I struggled with my writing, my focus and my desire for human contact. My entire week was a rollercoaster ride of excitment, rejection, frustration and then I was ready to chuck it all – go back to working for a CPA (uggh). But, now I learn that I am "normal", for a writer that is. I can't wait to read chapter 2!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I appreciate your comment. Comments are not shown until approved by the blog administrator.