Monday, June 6, 2011

"When You Reach Me" by Rebecca Stead Book Review

I just knocked another book off my self-imposed reading list, “When You Reach Me” by Rebecca Stead. I thoroughly enjoyed this young adult novel, a refreshing change from the "Twighlight" and "Hunger Games" series. Rebecca managed to capture my interest from the beginning when Miranda’s mother received a postcard announcing she’s made it as a contestant on the $20,000 Pyramid. Without spoiling the story for you, I will just say that Miranda received a strange note on a tiny slip of paper that in part read, “I am coming to save your friend’s life, and my own. I ask two favors. First, you must write me a letter…” Rebecca cleverly titled each chapter similar to the clues of the winner’s circle portion of $20,000 Pyramid and managed to entwine a science fiction story into the everyday life of young Miranda.



Even though this book is for young adult readers, I found that I was unable to put this book down. I enjoyed the fresh writing style – minus the teenage angst. I was simply a good book, and I highly recommend it.

If you have any young adult recommendations I would love to know what they are.

1 comment:

  1. I loved this book, Sally! And my sixth grade daughter loved it, too. Unraveling the mystery was so gratifying for her.

    Great choice!

    Shelley

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comment. Comments are not shown until approved by the blog administrator.